Saturday 18 December 2010

Let’s start at the very beginning.


I’m a Public Relations and Marketing student at the University of Lincoln, writing what I imagine, is the first of a lifetime of blogs. The ever-changing face of PR, as well as shifts in technology, has meant PR is now considered very much an online phenomenon. To encourage my hope of working within the future of PR, I’m using the blogging platform to establish my online presence and ‘netiquette’ - and here I am!

 
When completing assignments at University, it’s easy for the tutors to be impressed, or even influenced by your words. But why stop there? Why not assess how the words can be turned into a voice, not just accessible by a tutor, but by an authentic audience? PR is such a vast, fast-pace industry that I can only wait to graduate. But for now, my blog will do the talking for me.
If I ever needed a push start to get a blog, and make the change online, this was it. For those of you who haven't seen it before, introducing The Social Revolution...

...quite the eye-opener! As the video suggests, it's never been more important to make our online presence known. So, as I embark upon my journey through the 'Blogosphere', I'm inspired by the platform at my feet! Here goes...


3 comments:

  1. Hi Sophie,

    Welcome to blogspot! I completely agree, blogging has to be the future. I have recently graduated and wished my assignments would of taken this form rather than the "old fashioned" essays. Assignments and coursework would be so much more interesting and a reflection of today’s society done this way.

    I use blogs as a means of advertising in order to get our products out there. The best thing is that its free and anyone can have access to it. It also interesting to see who agrees with you and the people who have conflicting views. I’m all for the blog era!

    Good luck with your university work, it certainly sounds interesting so I hope you do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    Thanks for your comment. It's quite astonishing how much blogging has transformed the Public Relations world, and so quickly too. I'm sure you have noted from the video post (Social Media Revolution) the statistics are phenomenal.
    I think it’s worth asking now, do you think we will ever need traditional social media again? With the rise of social media and blogging, are times of a printed newspaper and journalists obsolete?

    What do you think Kelly?

    Regards, Sophie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting point there Sophie. I think traditional media is slowly declining and your right, I think printed newspapers will soon be a thing of the past.

    In fact, its been a while since I brought a newspaper - I catch the headlines online or on the TV. I only used to read certain parts of the paper anyway, the rest of the rubbish printed was ignored and put staight in the bin. It can only be good news for the environment with less paper wasted!

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete